Nelson Piquet is a Brazilian race car driver and three-time Formula One world champion. He is the only Brazilian driver to have won a Formula One world championship and the only driver to have won titles with two different teams. Piquet began his go-kart racing career and made his Formula One debut with the Brabham team in 1978. He won his first world championship with Brabham in 1981 and his second title with Williams in 1987. Piquet retired from racing after the 1991 season but made a brief comeback in 1994. He retired for good after the 1995 season.
What is Nelson Piquet's net worth?
Piquet has been involved in several business ventures since retiring from racing. He owns the Nelson Piquet Sports Academy, a successful go-karting school based in Brazil. He also owns Autotrack, an established company that manufactures and sells race car parts and accessories. Various sources estimate Piquet’s net worth at $200 million. It puts him among the richest people in Brazil and makes him one of the wealthiest former racing drivers in the world.
|Net worth||$ 200 million|
|Loans and liabilities||–|
Nelson Piquet’s salary from Formula one team in past
Nelson Piquet is a retired Brazilian Formula One driver. He raced for the Ensign, McLaren, Brabham, and Williams teams. Piquet’s monthly salary from his Formula One team would vary depending on which team he was racing for and his performance during the season. However, we can estimate that Piquet would have earned at least $1 million per month during his career in Formula One.
Table of Contents
Watch this video to see an interview with Nelson Piquet.
Nelson Piquet’s earnings from Sports Academy
The Nelson Piquet Sports Academy is a world-class facility that offers racing instruction to aspiring drivers of all ages. The Academy has several locations worldwide, and Piquet often gives students lessons.
Piquet’s academy teaches more than just how to drive a car; students also learn about the business side of racing, including sponsorship and marketing. It’s an investment that can pay off big time for those serious about making a career in racing.
The academy has been quite successful, and Piquet has earned a good amount of money. In fact, according to estimates, Piquet’s total earnings from the academy are around $5 million! That’s a pretty impressive sum, and it just shows that there’s still plenty of money to be made in racing – even after you retire from driving!
Nelson Piquet’s endorsements
Piquet has endorsed several brands. These endorsements have helped to raise these brands’ profiles and given Piquet a significant source of income. Piquet’s endorsements have also enabled him to remain in the public eye after he retired from racing. He has appeared in television and print ads for his endorsed brands and made cameo appearances in movies and television shows. These brands include
- Piquet Kart
- Orlebar Brown
- Marcelo Canalli
- 39 Monte Carlo
- Piquet began his racing career in karting and won in 1974.
- He made his Formula One debut with the Ensign team in 1978 and scored his first point in his second race.
- Piquet joined the Brabham team in 1980 and won his first Grand Prix at the British Grand Prix that year.
- He moved to the Williams team in 1986 and won his second World Championship with them in 1987.
- Piquet retired from Formula One after the 1991 season but returned with the Benetton team in 1994.
- Nelson Piquet house is located in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. The house was built in 2000 and is said to be one of the most expensive houses in Brazil.
- He attended a driving awareness school in the United States.
- Piquet’s father wanted him to be a professional tennis player, and he was given a scholarship at a school in the United States. However, he soon developed a love for motor racing and began go-karting at 14.
Learn more about Nelson Piquet
Piquet’s talent in tennis was somewhat recognizable even before he became a professional driver. His father, also named Nelson, was a three-time Brazilian national tennis champion and had represented Brazil at the Davis Cup level. The younger Piquet started playing tennis at the age of twelve and was quickly successful, winning several junior tournaments.
But he wanted to become a racer and made the trip to the United States to continue his growth as a racecar driver. His parents were not supportive of his racing career and wanted him to continue his tennis career. However, Piquet was determined to become a professional race car driver. He worked hard and eventually became one of the most successful drivers in the world. Piquet’s story inspires anyone who has a dream and is willing to work hard to achieve it.
|Full Name||Nelson Piquet Souto Maior|
|Date of Birth||August 17th, 1952|
|Height||5 ft 9¾ in|
Nelson Piquet was born on August 17, 1952, in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. His father, Estácio de Góes Piquet, was a tennis player and his mother, Maria José Bordini Piquet, was a housewife. He has two older sisters: Sandra and Lisiane. When he was seven years old, his family moved to Tijuca.
Piquet attended high school at the Federal University of Rio de Janeiro. In 1970, during his senior year of high school, he dropped out to pursue a career in auto racing. His racing career began in the Brazilian Formula Vee Championship, where he won several races.
In 1976, Piquet moved to Europe to compete in Formula Three races. The following year, he made his Formula One debut with the McLaren team.
Piquet made Formula One debut in 1978 with the Brabham team and scored his first podium finish in his second race. He went on to win his first race at the 1980 British Grand Prix.
Piquet moved to the Williams team in 1981 and won the world championship in 1983, before moving to the McLaren team in 1984. He won his second world championship with McLaren in 1985. Piquet returned to Williams in 1986 and won his third world championship in 1987. He remained with Williams until 1991 when he retired from Formula One.
Piquet had a long, successful career in Formula One, winning three world championships and scoring many podium finishes. Since he retired from racing, Piquet has worked as a race car driver coach and television commentator.
In recent years, Nelson Piquet has been in the news for various reasons. Here are some highlights from his life in 2022:
- In 2020, Piquet made headlines when he came out as gay. He was the first Formula One driver to do so, and he spoke openly about his struggles with coming to terms with his sexuality.
- Piquet has also been outspoken about the need for more diversity in motorsport. In 2021, he launched the #WeRaceAsOne campaign to promote inclusion and equality in the sport.
- More recently, Piquet has been making waves in the business world. In 2022, he launched his fashion label, NP Apparel. The line is inspired by Piquet’s love of racing and features a range of stylish and functional clothing for both men and women.
Favorite quotes from Nelson Piquet
- “I never put myself above others or below them. I always try to be equal.”
- “There’s always room for improvement, no matter how good you are.”
- “You can be as fast as you want, but if you’re not smooth, you’re not going to win.”
- “Racing, competing, it’s in my blood. It’s part of me, it’s part of my life.”
- “When you’re racing, it’s life. Anything that happens off the track, you leave there.”
- “After hurting myself like that, I could not go back immediately to racing. I was in no condition, mentally or physically. That helped me to strengthen myself to go through the hard times that were ahead with my business, and to be successful.”
- “Through F1, I bought my own Boat I learned how to fly my own plane and helicopter, and my job with company is a reflection of everything motor racing taught me”
What else does he own?
Piquet owns several properties, including houses in Brazil, Portugal, and Switzerland. He owns a luxury car fleet, including a Bentley Continental GT, a Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano, and a Rolls-Royce Phantom Drophead Coupe.
Nelson Piquet’s cars
Piquet’s car collection is quite diverse, with something for everyone. He has everything from exotic sports cars to more practical vehicles. His motorcycles are also of various makes and models, ranging from dirt bikes to racing bikes.
Piquet’s love for cars and motorcycles began at a young age. He often went on road trips with his family, during which he would get to experience different types of vehicles. These early experiences helped shape his passion for collecting cars and motorcycles.
Here is a list of some of the cars in his collection:
- American Ford GT: This car was gifted to Piquet by Ford after he won the 24 Hours of Le Mans in 1967.
- Porsche Carrera GT: Piquet bought this car after he retired from racing in 1991.
- Ferrari F40: Piquet’s wife gifted him this car for his 50th birthday.
Nelson Piquet’s house
Piquet’s Brazilian estate is perhaps his most impressive. It is situated on a sprawling piece of land, and the property features a main house, guest house, tennis court, swimming pool, and more. Piquet often hosts parties and events at his estate, and it’s no wonder why – it’s truly a paradise.
Piquet’s Monaco apartment is no slouch, either. It is located in one of the most prestigious buildings in the city, and the apartment boasts views of the Mediterranean Sea.
Here is a list of some of his properties:
- A penthouse in Monaco that he bought for $4.5 million in 2009.
- A mansion in Brazil that is worth an estimated $10 million.
- An apartment in New York City that he purchased for $3.4 million in 2013.
- A villa in Portugal that he bought for $2.7 million in 2014.
Nelson Piquet’s boat/yacht
Piquet has always been passionate about boating and has owned several boats and yachts over the years. One of his most famous yachts is Pillar Ross. The following details about his yacht:
- Nelson Piquet’s yacht is named after his daughter, Pilar Ross. The vessel was built in 2005 by Trinity Yachts and is 72 meters (236 feet) long. It has a cruising speed of 15 knots and a range of 5,500 nautical miles.
- It includes a helicopter landing pad, swimming pool, movie theatre, and spa. Ten staterooms can accommodate up to 20 guests.
- The cost of Nelson Piquet’s yacht is unknown, but similar vessels have been known to sell for around $30 million.
Nelson Piquet’s Private Jet
Nelson Piquet is the owner of a Cessna 750 Citation, a private jet that allows him to travel in style and comfort. The jet has various features that make it an excellent choice for anyone looking for a luxurious way to travel.
The Cessna 750 Citation is a popular choice for private jet ownership due to its wide range of features and amenities.
- The jet can comfortably seat up to eight passengers.
- It features a fully stocked kitchen and bar.
- It is equipped with an entertainment system that includes satellite television and an iPod docking station.
With its combination of luxury and convenience, it’s no wonder that the Cessna 750 Citation is Nelson Piquet’s choice for private jet travel.
Nelson Piquet stocks
Piquet has acquired a 3.4% stake in oil giant Petrobras (NYSE: PBR) and a 2.5% stake in planemaker Embraer (NYSE: ERJ).
Here are some of the stocks that have made him a fortune:
- Petróleo Brasileiro S.A. (NYSE: PBR), better known as Petrobras, is Brazil’s state-owned oil company and one of Piquet’s major sponsors.
- Embraer S.A. (NYSE: ERJ), headquartered in Brazil, is the world’s third-largest manufacturer of commercial jets. Piquet is a brand ambassador for Embraer.
- Red Bull Racing (OTCQB: RBLLF), an Austrian Formula One team, has been powered by Renault engines since 2007. Piquet drove for the team from 2006 to 2009.
Frequently asked questions
How much did Nelson Piquet earn in a year in F1?
How rich is Nelson Piquet?
Why is Nelson Piquet so rich?
Where did Nelson Piquet get his money?
Is Nelson Piquet a billionaire?
Nelson Piquet net worth compared to active Formula 1 drivers
Nelson Piquet, who is considered one of the best Formula One drivers of all time, has a net worth of $200 million. Here is a list of Nelson Piquet’s net worth compared to other active Formula One drivers:
|#||Read more about the drivers salary and net worth||Team||Salary (USD $)||Salary (EUR €)|
|1||Max Verstappen||Red Bull||$55m||€51.67m|
|6||Sergio Perez||Red Bull||$10m||€9.39m|
|–||Valtteri Bottas||Alfa Romeo||$10m||€9.39m|
|10||Fernando Alonso||Aston Martin||$5m||€4.69m|
|14||Lance Stroll||Aston Martin||$2m||€1.9m|
|–||Nyck De Vries||AlphaTauri||$2m||€1.9m|
|–||Zhou Guanyu||Alfa Romeo||$2m||€1.9m|
Piquet had a successful start to his Formula One career, winning the Brazilian Grand Prix in his debut season. He went on to win 23 races and take 60 podiums. His final career points tally was 481.5 (485.5). After retiring from Formula One, Piquet continued to race in various other series until he finally retired from motorsport in 1994.
Two high-profile marriages have overshadowed Piquet’s personal life. His first marriage was to Sonia Braga, a Brazilian actress. The couple had one child together before divorcing in 1983. Piquet’s second marriage was to Terry Ann Stevens, an American fashion model.
Now, he has three children, including two with his current wife. After his retirement, He spends time with his family, goes fishing, and drives cars for fun. Piquet is happy with his life and enjoys spending his days doing what he loves.